Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Advanced Research in Medicine
Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal

2021, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part I

The femoral artery and its branches: A study of their branching pattern and variations

Author(s): Dr. Ananda Sagari A and Dr. Sujana Arani

Background: The femoral artery is conveniently located close to the surface; thus, it may be catheterized without much trouble. Interventional cardiology procedures and long-term hemodialysis access both make use of the femoral artery. Arteriography and Doppler imaging make use of the femoral artery and its primary branch, the profunda femoris artery. The superficial femoral artery is utilised to create skin flaps for use in reconstructive surgery of the breast, upper and lower limbs.
Methods: Radiological analysis based on the more traditional method of dissection. We analysed 40 adult lower limb specimens, 25 adult femoral angiographies, and 15 femoral artery CT angiographies. Adult lower limb specimens were collected from embalmed cadavers at the Department of Anatomy, Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences, Narketpally, Telangana, India, between November 2020 to August 2021, for use in standard academic dissections by first-year MBBS and BDS students.
Results: The femoral artery's origin was in the mid inguinal area in 88% of instances and the lateral thigh in 12%. The superficial epigastric artery branches from the femoral artery as its own trunk 88% of the time and has a common ancestor with the superficial external pudendal artery in the remaining 12% of occurrences. The superficial external pudendal artery is duplicated in 8% of the population. Radiological analysis showed that 84% of the branches followed a conventional pattern, while 12% showed variation.
Conclusion: The findings of the current research will be helpful for surgeons doing procedures in the femoral area. Understanding the femoral artery can also aid radiologists in image interpretation and doctors in planning interventional therapies.

DOI: 10.22271/27069567.2021.v3.i2i.441

Pages: 635-639 | Views: 140 | Downloads: 40

Download Full Article: Click Here
How to cite this article:
Dr. Ananda Sagari A, Dr. Sujana Arani. The femoral artery and its branches: A study of their branching pattern and variations. Int J Adv Res Med 2021;3(2):635-639. DOI: 10.22271/27069567.2021.v3.i2i.441
International Journal of Advanced Research in Medicine
Call for book chapter