Manuscript Writing Service
International Journal of Advanced Research in Medicine
Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Advanced Research in Medicine

2021, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part C

Clinical profile of acute kidney injury in ICU patients


Author(s): Dr. Divya Reddy Molugu, Dr. B Sreenivas Reddy and Dr. Greeshma Reddy Molugu

Abstract:
Background: Deterioration of renal function that is both acute and potentially reversible causes the kidney to be ineffective to eliminate nitrogenous waste products and maintain fluid and electrolyte balance, resulting in Acute Kidney Injury.
Objective: To study the Clinical profile of acute kidney injury in ICU patients
Methods: A total of 50 patients with acute kidney injury were included after meeting the inclusion exclusion criteria. After obtaining of written informed permission from the patients, a comprehensive medical history, general physical examination, systemic examination, and routine and specific lab investigations were performed to determine the underlying etiology, clinical characteristics, and result of AKI. All patients were clinically and biochemically monitored until they were discharged.
Results: Male were predominant with 70% compared to females 30%.The Male: Female ratio was 2.3:1, Fever was the most common symptom observed in 54% of the cases followed by dyspnea. Around 30% of the urine cultures were positive. Escherichia coli, candida albicans, Klebsiella species, proteus mirabilis, and pseudomonas species were among the microorganisms discovered in urine culture. Patients with three or less ailments (82%) have a better probability of recovering, whereas those with four or more ailments (18%) have a larger risk of deteriorating. 78% of the patients had recovered from AKI, whereas AKI deteriorated in 22% of the patients.
Conclusion: Acute Kidney Injury is a prevalent clinical issue in critically ill patients, particularly those in the medical ICU. Early identification and appropriate management are crucial for reducing AKI-related and all-cause death in critically ill patients.


DOI: 10.22271/27069567.2021.v3.i2c.238

Pages: 165-168 | Views: 118 | Downloads: 30

Download Full Article: Click Here
How to cite this article:
Dr. Divya Reddy Molugu, Dr. B Sreenivas Reddy, Dr. Greeshma Reddy Molugu. Clinical profile of acute kidney injury in ICU patients. Int J Adv Res Med 2021;3(2):165-168. DOI: 10.22271/27069567.2021.v3.i2c.238
International Journal of Advanced Research in Medicine